Blogger Templates

Saturday 24 March 2012

Understanding ethics from the module handbook

Understanding ethics from the module handbook:
Plagiarism
Never copy anyone else’s work, must cite any references to give credit to researcher. 
Only ask when necessary
Only relevant questions to the inquiry. Must have a valid reason to ask.
Covert vs overt observation
Overt observation can cause the subject to change their behaviour - this can only be mended over time when the observer becomes ‘part of the furniture’. Is it ethical to watch people without their permission? 
Maintaining objectivity
It is easy to go off track and collect data that is unnecessary. Any leading questions can cause data to not be valid as it will then be subjective not objective. 
Reporting data
Must include all data, cannot pick and chose which data to use in order to keep with your trend.
Protecting data
Must keep data safe at all times, password protect your computer. Do not need to keep it after study.
Preventing harm
Should not affect anyone so much it impacts their quality of life or future.
Permission
Must have full permission from the subject, and from employer if at work. We should brief the subject and tell them they have the right to pull out if they want to.
I hadn’t really thought about security of data before. I do not have a secure password for my files, therefore that has been my first task of the day! It has been nice to have a refresher since my psychology a level which looked into these ethics. From my a level I found it most difficult to maintain objectivity, as of course, we each have our view of how the enquiry will turn out, therefore that will be something this time I shall look out for! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emma, this is a very clear summary of the main points. This makes it much clearer to me. Thank you for that!!! I was trying to summarize that as well, but you brought it to the point.

    ReplyDelete